Sunday, July 31, 2016

Supercar Sunday - A Longer Road trip!

Supercar Sunday is held up in Woodland Hills which is about as far north as you can go in SoCal and still be in LosAngeles.  I had not attended this show before as well.  This event was an even longer drive at over 120 miles one way so would be a better test of the road trip worthiness of the Nomad.



200+ cars eventually appeared at this show along with hundreds of people.  When I first arrived there were less than 6 cars there.  My photog buddy - Art+Machines - was there bright and early.  He snapped a few shots during the magic hour.  Follow his Instagram for great shots of cars, women and more.  


Another friend Eric, showed up with his Atom3 - which was originally my first Atom3.  It was great to see him and then another buddy, Paul from Chemical Guys showed up with his Atom3 along with his girlfriend, Jen.  Three Ariels at one show is not something you will see at most car shows.  Eric loves these unusual sportscars and has a garage full of cool machines.  I suspect a Nomad will also make its way into his stable.

The Nomad was a huge hit.  I handed out another 50 brochures and spoke until I was almost hoarse.  It's a good thing I had a long drive back alone - to rest my voice!  The ride home was good thanks to proper driving gear.  I stripped down to a thin white, long sleeved shirt, pants, gloves, sunglasses and my trusty bucket hat.  


I am using my Atom seat insert to better fit in the Nomad seat.  As it turns out, the insert may be a bit too snug and race track focused to be a good road trip pad.  I think I will make an insert that gives me a bit more room.  Ultimate lateral support is not that critical on a road trip so it will be something I will have to get done to extend my comfort for even longer trips - which the Nomad is well suited for.  The seat is perfect for average to large drivers.  We've had guys as tall as 6'5" in the car.  The seat is very wide so Big & Tall folk will fit.

The pedals on the Nomad are the same as the Atom - race pedals.  They are close together which demand proper driving shoes.  Since I was attending a car show where I would be either standing or walking around, I chose to wear shoes that could work on the pedals and be comfortable.  Pure racing shoes are perfect on the pedals but horrible for walking/standing.  I've been wearing Piloti shoes for years as they bridge these requirements fairly well.  I've also found that some older shoes like Converse can also work well.

Another observation is that staying hydrated is key as an open car, under a hot sun can be tiring.  Coconut water has become my go-to-drink and not just because it grows like a weed where I'm originally from!  No, the Nomad does not have cup holders but there are plenty of places to secure one...which is something I plan to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment