Monday, August 8, 2016

All Terrain? Maybe not...


The Ariel Nomad tactical sure looks like an off-road buggy or sand rail.  But in reality, it is not.  In SoCal, the off-road/desert market is huge so the Nomad naturally looks like it would be an all terrain vehicle.  We've always known that the car is truly suited for rally conditions: asphalt, broken pavement, dirt roads, etc.  I've run our Nomad through these type of roads and was happy with its performance.  Well I decided to try out the car in some sand and promptly got stuck.  And then got out!

There is a dry creek bed that runs close to our shop.  There are several access points to this area and it is approved for motorized vehicle use.  I stumbled across one of the entrances last week but did not have the time to check it out in full.  I discussed the creek bed with the guys and they immediately suggested that if I get stuck, I should air down the tires.  Well that was good advice as I soon found out.



I wonder where this gravel road goes?

That does not look too deep...

Yep, its deep.


Too deep...
Air this mutha down...
After taking air out of the rear tires, and with some coaching from a local (and new friend) - who digs out trucks daily from this sand trap - I gave it a go.  Watch the video to see the results.

I think the Nomad remains a versatile vehicle.  Deep sand may be a problem but with the right tools and approach, it can be traversed.  I think groomed dirt/gravel may be the safer bet...did I mention that I had Stacy with me when I got stuck?  And it was her birthday?!  That's how I roll - sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment